Sunday, April 10, 2011

Grand Pizzeria Review

My wife and I went to the Grand Pizzeria in the Market a few days ago.
When they first opened, I found the food to be top notch. The pizza tasted extremely authentic to Naples, and the service was fairly decent too. Over time though, the service level has dropped and the food is not as well done as before.

Seating was quick, and our server seemed pleasant enough. We ordered the Soup Special, which was tomato with Pasta. First off the tomato really tasted like out of a can, and the worst part the pasta was extremely undercooked. We did not eat any more than one piece each before realizing that it was all very very very undercooked. We decided to leave finish the tomato portion and leave all the pasta at the bottom of the bowl hoping the server would mention/ask us about it, but ofcourse nothing was noted.
I ordered the Calzone and my wife ordered the margarita pizza. The pizza was as it always is, crisp thin crust, good quality san marizano tomato sauce lightly sprinkled with cheese and a bit of basil. My sausage calzone was pretty good as well, with lots of salami and tasty sauce, the only complaint I would have is the crust at one end was a bit burned but not enough to make an issue with it.
You will read many reviews of this place where people complain about the quality of sauce, lack of basil on the margarita, the thin crust etc... most of those reviewers don't know quality pizza. While I would agree that sometimes the Grand doesnt deliver on service or other items than the pizza. Traditional Napolitana Pizza is done the way they do it. If those reviewers went to Naples and ordered a napolitana pizza it would be one sprig of basil in the center and I am sure they would complain.
I personally cannot stand those chain pizza places with the bready crust, loaded with crap quality toppings, and disgusting low grade cheese that is smothered on it with that thick sauce. I accept that many do like that, if you are one of them, avoid The Grand, if not give it a shot, I don't recommend their pasta's though, they are average in taste and similar to most chain Italian places. Their apps are ok if you are extra hungry and I would recommend their meatballs, and zuccini parmigana. Havent had desserts there yet, as I usually get convinced to grab a beaver tail afterwards.
One more think, if you are a fan of hot sauces, they have an excellent one that is also available at La Bottega next door.

No comments:

Post a Comment